Sunday, April 4, 2010

Rip Gordon or Champions League/FA Cup?




So what went wrong on Saturday? The first thing was the absence of a ton of key players and just a poor team selection. I wanted to see Bale at left back and Modric in the left midfield. BAE just seems to be a liability right now. Every time someone gets in behind him, I hold my breath because it looks like he is going to trip them up everytime. He reminds me of Silvestre in that respect. What a terrible player Silvestre was and still is. I can't think of a more overrated player. In the middle, I wanted Krancjar and Palacios with Crouch and Pav up front. The team put out in that first half played terribly and were severely outplayed.

Many people have been asking who Walker is. Harry bought him in the summer from Sheffield United and then loaned him back to the club for the first half of the season. I felt he has put in respectable performances for being thrust right into the starting lineup after the loss of Corluka to injury. The boy tries to get forward and works hard getting back. You can tell that he isn't comfortable yet though. Corluka's positioning is what Walker needs to learn. I'm going to reserve more judgment on him until he gets a few more games in. He was awfully unfortunate to give up that penalty by the way. Can't fault him for being unlucky.

I have a theory on why Tottenham lost this past weekend that doesn't involve the actual team, but rather my own brother, Rip Gordon. He has spent the past month and a half in the Orient helping train other squadrons for their upcoming deployment. Anyway...his departure was aligned with a run of good performances that doesn't come around very often. He arrived back in the States on Friday afternoon just in time to be fresh for the Saturday match against Sunderland. After five straight league wins, what happened? A loss, and not just a little loss. It was a loss in which we were badly outplayed. Coincidence? I think not. I don't know what kind of negative mojo he has, but when he couldn't follow Spurs, the club couldn't perform better. He returns, and the team gets demolished. This situation puts me in a very awkward position. Do I insist on him leaving again? After thinking it over for the past day and a half, the answer is yes, at least until the end of the season. All I'm asking for is a month and a half. A month and a half and we would have a Champions League spot next year and the FA Cup title. Don't be selfish Rip, do the right thing. Take Becky on a long vacation and I'll let you know when you can come back.

4 comments: