Wednesday, March 3, 2010

My Apologies and an Ode to Donovan



I must apologize for my lack of posts recently. The Navy has decided to put me at work flying twice a day for the past couple of weeks and I took a cross country this weekend to the West Coast. I have neglected my most important job, bitching about Tottenham. A funny thing happened when I stopped posting however...we started winning. Do I feel bad posting and possibly ending the streak? Not really. This streak isn't going to end any time soon. I can see the FA Cup final and Champions League football on the horizon. Half of our team had the flu in the Everton game, and we still gutted out the win. This is an omen. It has been several seasons since the infamous Lasagna gate incident where we needed a win against West Ham to secure fourth and crack the Champions League and our squad was poisoned by someone. All fingers point to the scum, Arsenal, who somehow managed to sneak into the fourth spot we left open. My conspiracy theory places Osama bin Laden as the main culprit. How in the hell can you support a team that has bin Laden as a supporter? I mean, shit, you might as well root for Mexico and Virginia Tech while you're at it. Back to the subject at hand....Spurs are headed for great things. Not even sneaky viruses can keep us down anymore.

I want to take this moment to send an ode out to Landon Donovan. I felt that the US wouldn't have even qualified for the World Cup without him. While the rest of the squad was inconsistent, he was a rock and offensive genius throughout qualifying. This alone would have put him on my Mt. Rushmore of favorite people, but after missing the wide open goal against Spurs, he has now deified himself. All the guy does are things that benefit me. How in the world did he miss? I've looked at it from every angle and it's just puzzling. It was his dominant foot at the far post without a defender providing pressure on his back. This is the type of miss that could just send Landon reeling. Everyone knows he is sensitive and has a tough time when the heat is turned up. He didn't do much in the Netherlands game today, which was his first game since the miss. It's a bad sign. Keep an eye on this fragile little boy just crumbling under a lack of confidence. Just so you know, I hope he doesn't fall apart. I'm all America people.

Onto Super Pav...The last time I can remember a player so far in the doghouse, only to prove all the doubters wrong on his return, was David Beckham at Real Madrid. Capello had completely written him off when Beckham turned Madrid's season around and led them to the La Liga title. Like Beckham, Pav was being shown the door earlier in the season but somehow managed to pull a 180. The signs were there that Pav would be given a chance when Harry let Keano head to Celtic, but no one could have foreseen Pav's rich vein of form. It's always difficult to judge how much other players like each other, but it is obvious Pav is not only a fan favorite, but a fan in the locker room. When someone scores, the team is excited for obvious reasons, but pay attention a little closer to the celebration. Pav is absolutely mauled every time he puts one in. Bale and Corluka nearly ran him over in the Wigan game. The players celebrate his goals as if they scored. I have watched a lot of goals and celebrations this season, and Pav's are easily the happiest and most fun to watch. He has become the catalyst the team needed to kick start the second half of the season. Keep scoring you Russian.

Here is the picture of Wayne Bridge's dirty pirate hooker of an ex-girlfriend. As an American fan, she should be commended for tearing apart the English dressing room. Only a woman can have such a negative impact on morale...

2 comments:

  1. my buddies over here are talking about how JT would have been applauded if he were spanish or italian or something.

    i hadn't read much about it, but apparently him and bridge used to be best friends, bridge confided in him that they were having problems, and thats when JT moved in for the kill, thats pretty low...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm going to go ahead and take credit for Pav's form. Had I not brought to light the homoerotic tendencies one would assume he had due to the thumb-hole underarmor...he never would have scored a single goal. Moreover, he's just capitalizing on the seasonal warmth. Too bad he's not pulled a 180, but instead you stopped him halfway through a 360. Gone this summer...we know Arry can't go a transfer window without wheeling and dealing.

    ReplyDelete